Authenticity is not the attribute I seek most in a leader.
I want to follow leaders who are committed to the organization’s best interests ahead of their own, i.e. I am not prepared to assume that these two things (organization’s best interests and the leader’s authentic interests) are necessarily aligned. Specifically, WIIFM must come second to WIIFO (what’s in it for the organization).
“Authentic leadership” presumes that the leader is a somewhat “perfect” person, that his or her passion and agenda is almost perfectly aligned with the organization’s strategy, and that, by radiating this combination, employers and other stakeholders will be inspired and engaged.
I would hope that all of us aspire to this. It is honorable. However, reality tends to be a messier place and I am a pragmatist. While we aspire to those noble goals, let’s not lose sight of the bar.
I realize that my own worldview is predicated on the larger assumption that when our organizations prosper, then our economies prosper, our communities prosper, and we all benefit. This comes down to the ability and willingness of those individuals who lead to commit to the higher bar of best interests of the organization.
I would rather that leaders commit to WIIFO first. If they can rally their authentic self to that, all the better, but it is secondary.
Do you see it differently?
- “Discovering Your Authentic Leadership”, Bill George, Peter Sims, Andrew N. McLean, and Diana Mayer, Harvard Business Review, Feb 2007.
- Call to Leaders re strategies too important to fail – the biggest risk (Part 1 of 2)
- Call to Leaders re strategies too important to fail – the biggest risk (Part 2 of 2)
- Thinking Intelligently
- Adam Grant And Brené Brown On Authenticity – Another War Of Titans?
- Find Your Voice―The Power Of Your Authenticity (Liberate Your Voice Series, Post 2 Of 3)
- Stepping Up To “Authentic” Leadership
- Authenticity Is An Over-Rated Leadership Attribute
Change Whisperer by www.gailseverini.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.